Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Homefront Review

Go down 
+20
Ultrasur76
leblackdragon
Lambo805
AmPLiFiKaTioN
Alyss
the_Fetophagist
ShowyAsh
bat
Hawk
SomeMexicanGuy
Eradicated
VILE
St NickelStew
RoninHo'in
CptnShotgun
Fido
DGAF
spacefox
Killzone_Kid
WantonHERO
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Homefront Review - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Brink preorder is just skins and crap... nothing I really need.... not like maps.

also, BF3 is established for me... I loved the last 4 games on console, so they'd have to really fuck up for me to regret it.

On the other hand, as sick as Brink looks, it's a new IP from a dev that, while they have made some great games, have not had particular sweeping success either.

Brink is new ground, and so I will rent, then I expect to keep.

Sides, I'll save like $10-$15
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:44 pm

St NickelStew wrote:
Not too happy about prone ... it will contribute to more "campy" play, I think, but I don't not like it enough to not buy BF3. Not by a longshot.

No it won't.
Was never a problem in previous BFs, was only a problem in the smaller previous FB powered games because of the horribly linear maps
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:44 pm

RDR taught me to be wary of buying before I try ever again.

Loved the game... but it was a rental, not a buy worthy
Back to top Go down
St NickelStew
Midget
St NickelStew

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Daedra wrote:

No it won't.
Was never a problem in previous BFs, was only a problem in the smaller previous FB powered games because of the horribly linear maps

Or because infantry was "underpowered"/vehicles were "overpowered" relative to BC games. I know you think with better maps the problem will go away, but I am unconvinced. I think there are many causes of camping behavior, and map design is perhaps but a small part of the sum of the causes.

Last edited by St NickelStew on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
St NickelStew
Midget
St NickelStew

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Ronin0ni wrote:
Brink preorder is just skins and crap... nothing I really need.... not like maps.

I hear you on RDR ... the SP was awesome but the MP was not.

Brink preorders include not only skins/tatoos but a scope and two pistols that are supposed to be exclusive. We will see if they truly are, though. Still, I am something of a packrat and I like to buy. For example, I know you don't keep RP games but for me RDR was a good enough game that it is one I won't ever sell back.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 pm

St NickelStew wrote:

Or because infantry was "underpowered"/vehicles were "overpowered" relative to BC games. I know you think with better maps the problem will go away, but I am unconvinced. I think there are many causes of camping behavior, and map design is perhaps but a small part of the sum of the causes.

With more open maps it's a lot harder to get a lot of kills camping, true it makes you harder to spot, but if I sat on a hill next to a bottleneck (ala BC2) I would do considerably more damage and be a much bigger nuisance then if I lay prone on a hill in a large open map. And destruction cuts down on the amount of people camping in buildings heavily, as one well placed shell could destroy their cover, or even the entire building.

In short, camping is only effective when their are choke-points, otherwise people can just go around and leave you lying on a hill looking like a plonker.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 pm

They do that anyway. I remember all the people who would spawn with a ghillie suit and without taking a step just aim down the sights at the enemy base and start trying to kill people.
Back to top Go down
St NickelStew
Midget
St NickelStew

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:17 am

CptnShotgun wrote:

With more open maps it's a lot harder to get a lot of kills camping, true it makes you harder to spot, but if I sat on a hill next to a bottleneck (ala BC2) I would do considerably more damage and be a much bigger nuisance then if I lay prone on a hill in a large open map. And destruction cuts down on the amount of people camping in buildings heavily, as one well placed shell could destroy their cover, or even the entire building.

In short, camping is only effective when their are choke-points, otherwise people can just go around and leave you lying on a hill looking like a plonker.

I appreciate the thoughts! Still, I cannot help but be skeptical.

I think one of the reasons people play sniper is because they don't feel like they know how to play any other kit. I met in squad-chat once this kid who had wandered over from COD and felt like that is the only kit he knew how to play. I showed him how easy it is to get points in BC2, say, providing ammo, and he seemed hooked.

I also wonder how well such players understand how important objectives are to winning and losing. I have been recently playing quite a bit with a guy (a good player at like level 47) who did not understand that ticket bleed occurs when one side controls the majority of the flags in Conquest. He thought it was just based on kills.

Here's hoping for better tutorials for BF3!
Back to top Go down
ShowyAsh
Midget
ShowyAsh

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 pm

yea prone helps camping, but there have been so many times where prone has saved my life. Prone adds to the immersion; pretty awesome when you are getting the shit shot of you and you can just crawl out of there. My favorite situation on homefront is when I charge 4 dudes, kill 2 with a clip, take fire/prone behind a barricade/reload then pop up just in time to mow down the other 2. Prone is very necessary.
Back to top Go down
ShowyAsh
Midget
ShowyAsh

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 pm

and to keep on topic, had my best game ever last night: 41/3. Became a 5 star threat in the tank and once I was finally bumrushed by the ENTIRE team, I came back with the apache. Never really liked flying choppers but man it's not that hard on hf. Only got to use it for a a min towards the end of the match but I did damage. At one point I killed 3 ppl instantly with 1 volley. Shit's fun to say the least.
Back to top Go down
ShowyAsh
Midget
ShowyAsh

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:19 pm

went 58/8...pretty much wiped out entire spawn areas with my AK. I'm the shit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homefront Review   Homefront Review - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homefront Review
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7