Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anything worth buying?

Go down 
+2
Fido
RoninHo'in
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Anything worth buying? Empty
PostSubject: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:33 pm

So I'm cancelling my Gamefly since I'm going to the mighty wonderful world of PC.

However I have 1 $5 coupon left I feel compelled to use before I cancel. So I'm looking for suggestions, feedback, and/or ideas on what I might pick up for my last console game. Obviously it must be out now.

Right now topping the list of considerations for purchase are:
Saints Row 3 (just for whacky free roam gameplay)
AC3:Revelations (happens to be on sale at the moment so could get it REALLY cheap, like $8 after the coupon)
Mass Effect 1 (I own 2 & 3, never did finish 1 and thought I might do 1 full playthrough)

Games I own:
BF3
RDR
NFS: The Run
Skyrim
Gears3
Halo:Reach (I got it for free)
Blur
Brink
couple other even older games
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Do you have the RDR Zombie DLC?
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:39 pm

That ^
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:43 pm

well, yah. I bought the GotY edition so I haz all RDR DLC.

Just played zombies for the first time last night. zomg, so much fun. Only thing that sucks is no Zombie MP Free Roam. Could have taken that "Save the Towns" mechanic form SP and ported it into MP pretty easily
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:11 pm

So... any suggestions? Coffee Cup

Deus Ex is another consideration, tho that's on PC too and I think it might be better on PC.
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Deus Ex is better on PC
Back to top Go down
http://www.gametanamo.com
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Don't even know what's out there. GTA 4 might be a good buy. Lots and lots of fun there on console, but it's a pretty giant and vast game.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:42 pm

yah... I was kinda thinking Saints Row might be better than GTA for an over the top fun free roam game.

Haven't played much GTA in recent years and never Saints Row though, so hard to make comparison.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 pm

GTA is the more realistic and immersive experience but SR is more balls to the wall exaggerated. GTA 4 anyway, SA would've beat SR for sure but GTA 4 has had a lot of that wacky bullshit toned down heavily. But then again, the Gay Tony DLC, adds a lot of it back in with some crazy helis and parachuting and some other stuff... but GTA is more for the story and the atmosphere, it's a much better game IMO than Saints Row. I just can't get tired of it, even without the missions it's epic to just drive around and go crazy. But from what you described, Saints Row might be your thing if you're just looking to fuck around.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Yah.... Problem is I dunno what I really want.

None of these are like "omg I want that"

It's more like "Well fuck if I'm just gonna let this $5 coupon go to waste"
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Can't go wrong with GTA 4 if you like games like RDR. Same people, same quality.
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

RoninHo'in wrote:

If you haven't played GTA4 I recommend it, great story, funny humor, great gameplay.

I think it is easier to play with mouse and keyboard though, but that is just me. Makes shooting and driving easier for camera control
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 pm

GnarlyBromance wrote:
RoninHo'in wrote:

If you haven't played GTA4 I recommend it, great story, funny humor, great gameplay.

I think it is easier to play with mouse and keyboard though, but that is just me. Makes shooting and driving easier for camera control

I don't know about GTA 4, but based on having played GTA San Andreas on PC and PS3, i'd go with PS3 every time. Camera control is the one advantage PC has, but driving itself is so much smoother and logical with a controller. So is running around. Joysticks/thumbsticks just can't be replaced by keys in my opinion but that's all it is, just an opinion. Driving fast on PS3 was so much easier than on PC, because e-brake turns and so on were more intuitive on a controller. And GTA 4 has a very realistic driving system so I can't imagine PC would be better.
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm

If I remember correctly, GTA4 on PC controls different than the previous games.

It is just be me though, I grew up playing racers on a keyboard (then a wheel)

Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:07 pm

^yah, the whole "better on PC" argument has really been thrashing any worthy choices.

Part of what I like about RDR is that it's unique. It's the only western in existence worth a damn.

I do recognize it's great story, and I know I'd get a good story from GTA4 unlike SR3.... but I'm not sure I care much about story here.

All I care about is gameplay, and it looks like they're pretty similar just that SR3 is more ridiculous and has more customization, whereas GTA4 went down the realistic route.

Reviews for both games are great, with fans of each declaring either franchise is better...

Think I'm going to look into just how much online content there is for both. I just wish I knew someone who was playing/played SR3 and could give me a more relative review.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:18 pm

The online of GTA 4 is cool, but it's all about free roam. The other competitive modes are a waste of time. And on free roam you only really get a bunch of idiots. Average age is easily 13. If you are playing solo you will be bored and you should stick to SP, which is much more fun (even just free roaming). If you have friends the online in GTA 4 can be lotsa fun. Take it from Hawk and Rose and myself. We do this brutal retribution thing where we're very friendly with everyone until they get hostile (and they always do). Then we beat them the shit until they quit in misery.
Back to top Go down
Mark!
Midget
Mark!

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm

GTA 4 really is a blast. I bought it for $5 from a buddy and had a blast with it. I got Liberty City Stories which only comes with Gay Tony, and The Lost and Damned but it is still fun as hell.

Although like Fido mentioned online is really only fun with friends.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 pm

If you're playing online, Liberty City Stories is a good deal. By far the best online experience is Gay Tony (more vehicles, crazier guns + the originals, etc), and the single player in TLAD is exceptional, so there's definitely enough to enjoy there no matter which route you go.

GTA 4's single player is much more vast than TLAD and TBOGT but the DLC in standalone form is still much better than almost every other game, ever.
Back to top Go down
Mark!
Midget
Mark!

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Liberty City Stories was perfect for me because I already beat the regular story mode at my friends house, so I wouldn't even want to go through it again. And all my buddies play Gay Tony online.

TLAD was really fun on storey mode but the weird graphics annoyed me alot.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 pm

You can turn those off in the display options. It's just a grunge fuzz filter thing. I actually prefer it on, makes it look more gritty and filters out some of the ugliness in the console graphics.
Back to top Go down
Mark!
Midget
Mark!

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks, I never really liked it. I'll turn it off next time I play.

People say it looks good on HD but even with my TV it doesn't look great to me.
Back to top Go down
Hawk
Hawk
Hawk

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Gta 4 is my all time favorite game....If more people on here played it, I would be on it every day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anything worth buying?   Anything worth buying? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anything worth buying?
Page 1 of 1