Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dawn of War

Go down 
+7
Xycolian
Skreshavik
RoninHo'in
FFigh
Eradicated
DTECH
Alyss
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 am

Been playing a lot of Dark Crusade past few days - pretty fucking sweet. Anyone else have this/played it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
DTECH
Master of Facts, Factual Evidence, and Facts
DTECH

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:30 am

No
Back to top Go down
Eradicated
Murderous Crack Fiend
Eradicated

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 am

I liked the new selection of factions, but Dark Crusuade got boring and repetivve real quick compared to the 1st game. The SP was a letdown. Having everything available in your first battle removes the challenge from the game, some sort of tech/unlock progression system would have given it more SP lifespan. I did like the customisation features for your commander unit though.

One of the big problem I have with the DoW I games is the battle pace. Units have way too much HP and not enough damage, the huge battles take weeks to finish. The base defenses are completely worthless, multiple turrets the size of tanks should not be struggling to take a single squad of footsoldiers. The only useful units are the high level super-heavy ones, and even then they feel like lower-medium level units of other RTS games.
Back to top Go down
FFigh
Property of Gametanamo
FFigh

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Played it... Dawn of War II is so much better though.

You don't build bases in DoWII, in the campaign you can pick 4 squads to use in a mission and that's it. You can make all characters specialized in either melee or ranged (or a bit of both) and there's a shitload of wargear. It's like an RPG combined with a strategy game. Most missions have some sort of boss battle at the end.

Back to top Go down
FFigh
Property of Gametanamo
FFigh

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Force commander with terminator armor and a thunder hammer = WinRAR.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Alyss wrote:
Been playing a lot of Dark Crusade past few days - pretty fucking sweet. Anyone else have this/played it?

WTF didn't I tell you about DoW back when we were talking about Company of Heroes around here some months back?

Dark Crusade is awesome-sauce.

I favor Guard and Tau.

Chaos can be pretty sweet too, though they nerfed em from earlier versions where you'd just Zerk rush

Necron are stupid... good if you want to play on a touchpad... they require that little micro.

not a fan of eldar (either) or SoB... not to big a fan of marines either... though I am decent with marines. I suck w/ eldar and SoB
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 pm

FFigh wrote:
Played it... Dawn of War II is so much better though.

You don't build bases in DoWII, in the campaign you can pick 4 squads to use in a mission and that's it. You can make all characters specialized in either melee or ranged (or a bit of both) and there's a shitload of wargear. It's like an RPG combined with a strategy game. Most missions have some sort of boss battle at the end.

what about SP Skimishes? How do they do those?

my comp barely runs DoW2 though... I can run DoW:DC well enough tho Smile
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Don't diss on the Necrons. Just because my Immortals reduced your most powerful tanks into vaporized molecules doesn't mean you have to be a poor sport.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

they have no micro at all practically.... broken faction IMO.

Guard is crazy... you gotta micro the SHIT outta the guardsmen units.... and they are actually really cost effective if done right.

Tau... I like sieging with Broadsides and using mounted Firewarriors for the bulk of my fire support... and of course kroot meat shield.

Chaos I tend to go zerk and demon crazy. I love deep striking anti-armor behind enemy armor lines.

It really is a great game, but I've only ever played skirmishes cause I can't go online with it.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Necrons do take a good bit of micro-management. Between their snail pace and the huge differences in strengths and weaknesses, you'll get screwed if you just mass them together and lob them at an army.

And if you do get it where your Necron Warriors and Flayers are up at the front tanking, you'll need to watch out for stealthers or jumpers (Chaos Reapers or deep strikes, for example) that just love to target your Immortals.

Artillery also poses a problem since the Necrons have no long-range ordinance. I either need to send my hero in and activate his ability, or send a suicide squad of the Necron vehicles.
Back to top Go down
FFigh
Property of Gametanamo
FFigh

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 4:01 am

RoninHo'in wrote:

what about SP Skimishes? How do they do those?

-You have one building (the HQ), you can build all units from there

-There's some turrets around it to prevent early game rushing

-You get resources by capping power nodes and requisition points... Power nodes can be further boosted with generators

-There's 3 "tech tiers" if I remember correctly... You need to upgrade the HQ to get better units and access better wargear for your troops & commander

-You can play either a conquest type gamemode where you cap and hold victory points or you can play annihilation where you have to kill the enemies and destroy their HQ

-Each race has 3 commanders to choose from (offense, defense and support or stealth pretty much), you have "commander abilities" (similar to the ones seen in Company of Heroes) and you gain points for these abilities by killing enemy units... The abilities can be stuff like a dreadnought drop pod or a orbital strike

I don't remember much about DoW but IMO DoWII is alot more "tactical" (if you wish) than DoW was. Putting a heavy bolter or a autocannon in a good spot where it suppresses any attacking enemies CAN (doesn't mean it happens all the time) earn you the win when DoW 1 was more about C&C type of "strategy" where you just mass up a force and send it to the enemy base.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 6:18 am

I went to all the trouble of torrenting DoW2 and installing it, before realising when it was released and what my laptop is capable of. Runs DoW pretty well though. I actually played it a bit years ago, back in uni, but I sucked at RTS back then. Well...sucked more. I can at least beat the AI on normal now. Speaking of which, the 1v1 maps are fucking tiny...really took me by surprise. I guess that DoW is just a lot faster paced than AoE. Anyway, had to restart a few games a few times before I got my opening down - Bonesinger does Aspect Barracks while you make two Guardian squads, each of them cap a SP, Bonesinger builds Plasma Generator while you get a Banshee squad, send all your troops to the middle of the map, get another Bonesinger, send them over to build a Webway Gate next to your troops, build a couple of turrets in front of that.

I pretty much always play Eldar...finished the DC campaign with them and had a lot of fun. They have a lot of style. I like the Tau in some ways...they've got a good look, and nice range, but they absolutely suck at dropping buildings. They haven't got a single unit that get bonuses vs. buildings...Eldar get Fire Dragons right out of their Aspect Barracks. You get a couple squads of them, couple squads of Reapers, a Farseer, send them all through a Webway Gate behind the enemy and drop their HQ in seconds.

Also Necrons are bullshit. Their basic unit has rock-solid melee and ranged and good hit points, and doesn't cost anything. And their commander is tougher than any other commander in the game, rapes everything in melee, and doesn't even properly die when you kill him.

Dawn of War Relic010
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
DTECH
DTECH

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:52 am

Looks gay from that pic you just posted
Back to top Go down
FFigh
Property of Gametanamo
FFigh

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 am

Dawn of War II is the manliest game ever.

What's not to like about a coffin that is turned into a warmachine and is controlled by a dead person on life support? (Dreadnought)

Dawn of War Dawn_of_War_2___Dreadnought_by_tankhawk500
Back to top Go down
DTECH
DTECH

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:59 am

FFigh wrote:
Dawn of War II is the manliest game ever.

What's not to like about a coffin that is turned into a warmachine and is controlled by a dead person on life support? (Dreadnought)

Dawn of War Dawn_of_War_2___Dreadnought_by_tankhawk500

That shit was definitely badass..... when I was 8
Back to top Go down
FFigh
Property of Gametanamo
FFigh

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:07 am

The Warhammer universe didn't exist in the Jurassic period.
Back to top Go down
DTECH
DTECH

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:08 am

FFigh wrote:
The Warhammer universe didn't exist in the Jurassic period.

Fuck you dont discriminate just cuz Jesus signed my yearbook
Back to top Go down
Eradicated
Murderous Crack Fiend
Eradicated

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 am

Play it before you bash it faggot, its very gorey....and quite grim....
Back to top Go down
DTECH
DTECH

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 am

Eradicated wrote:
Play it before you bash it faggot, its very gorey....and quite grim....

Is it a FPS?

Then no...
Back to top Go down
Eradicated
Murderous Crack Fiend
Eradicated

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 am

DTECH wrote:

Is it a FPS?

Then no...
buttpirate.
Back to top Go down
Xycolian
Property of Gametanamo
Xycolian

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Dawn of War Relic010

That totally looks like a Salarian from Mass Effect
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Well Warhammer 40k Eldar have been around for well over 10 years.... so they sure as shit didn't steal it from them.

Coneheads maybe lol

I also realized you are on Dark Crusade Alyss... not Soulstorm (where dark eldar and sisters of battle come in.... and air units)

The broadsides do good against buildings though... and so do the Vespids... actually, Vespids are your early game turret shredders.... and your detector. Vespids also have a good ability to knock down some melee attackers to help protect your fire warriors.

Plus Tau have jump jet invisible scout and point cappers.... how sick is that? They also upgrade into a decent AV harassment unit in Tier2.

I might give Eldar a try... I don't think my laptop runs DoW2 good enough.... lowest settings and it still kinda chugs... doesn't jerk around much but I think it must be playing at a slower rate then it's supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Alyss wrote:
Also Necrons are bullshit. Their basic unit has rock-solid melee and ranged and good hit points, and doesn't cost anything. And their commander is tougher than any other commander in the game, rapes everything in melee, and doesn't even properly die when you kill him.
Eldar are bullshit. What kind of game has stealthed buildings in a deathmatch-type scenario?

Basic units are trash until you upgrade them, then they're just cannon fodder (whereas the Pariahs and the Flayers make a better tanking unit.)

But yes, our only commander unit can be considered bullshit Razz
Back to top Go down
Eradicated
Murderous Crack Fiend
Eradicated

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Space Marine Dreadnought > All. Although I do like the Imperial Guards heavy and super heavy tank.

Last edited by Eradicated on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Skreshavik wrote:
Alyss wrote:
Eldar are bullshit. What kind of game has stealthed buildings in a deathmatch-type scenario?

Basic units are trash until you upgrade them, then they're just cannon fodder (whereas the Pariahs and the Flayers make a better tanking unit.)

But yes, our only commander unit can be considered bullshit Razz

Command & Conquer... don't remember which one.... had stealth towers (shroud generators or something)...

And the basic soldiers are unmatched in early game.... 1v1 maps they are stupidly OP... bigger maps their slowness keeps them from causing problems before you can deal with them.

1 of the things I like the most about DoW is how they have so many factions and yet they still all play so differently while still being somewhat balanced.

I've never been able to make Orks work though.... nor the 2 new SoulStorm factions... and Eldar I just must need to try another starting tactic cause I shouldn't be getting burned like that, I know they're capable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawn of War   Dawn of War Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dawn of War
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next