Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CoD features a subscription service

Go down 
+6
bat
xALIENAx
AmPLiFiKaTioN
RoninHo'in
Fido
Daedra
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

CoD features a subscription service Empty
PostSubject: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:57 am

As if they weren't trying hard enough to wring their product dry and squeeze every bit of money out of it.

http://nightmaremode.net/?p=4662

Quote :
Yes. It’s happening, folks. Today Activision revealed to the Wall Street Journal that Modern Warfare 3 will launch with a subscription service this fall. Called ‘Call of Duty Elite’, the service aims to provide extra content and services not available in the game proper–such as map packs, tools to analyze personal performance and more. Though a price point has not been concretely set, they’re thinking it won’t cost more than comparable entertainment services such as Netflix–which can charge about 7.99 a month. It also sounds as if the content and services the subscription will provide have also not been set in stone just yet.
On the subject, Bobby Kotick says he is not worried about backlash from gamers because everyone “will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service.”
Activision clarifies that the service will be free, but that certain as-of-yet unknown components will cost money.

A fool and his money are soon parted indeed...
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:02 am

Fuck that.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:29 am

lol, don't and after a couple months you'll be finding a new room every other round cause it will be one of the new maps Razz
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:06 pm

That's only on BC2, CoD got around that.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:16 pm

lol BF doesn't have subscription... it has a 1 time code w/ new purchase or purchased for used copy.

VIP wasn't perfect... conceptually though I agree with it.... they just needed more content and for it to work properly on PSN with multiple ID's.

for MOST people it was a free map pack (MP7)

if there was just 1 more map pack it would have still ended up being a better deal then COD map packs for those who did have to buy it.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:42 pm

If. But there wasn't.

Anyway that's not what I meant. If you have VIP and you squad with someone who doesn't, they get kicked when it's a VIP map.

On CoD, not having it disables it for everyone, so you don't get booted out of games and play on rotations that exclude DLC maps, with other people who don't have it. So not having the map packs for CoD doesn't hold you back at all.
Back to top Go down
AmPLiFiKaTioN
Astro Jesus
AmPLiFiKaTioN

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 4:47 pm

I never understood why DICE never implemented that feature into BC2. Obviously not everyone is going to have the DLC, so why fuck everyone over by making them resquad every time a DLC map pops up?
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't understand a lot of things about DICE but the popularity of their games is their just reward (clue: their games aren't popular).
Back to top Go down
xALIENAx
Completely Sane and Normal Individual
xALIENAx

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Its because CoD is P2P and BF is hosed on dedicated servers. If they were to implement this in BC2 it would require a whole nother set of servers without the Maps from VIP. in COD the first player into the lobby hosts the match, so there is an infinate number of "servers".
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Fido wrote:
Fuck that.

lol

Ill give it about a month before you give in and subscribe to their "stats analysis and additional map packs for only 7.99 a month' service.

Itll be about a week or 2 after Josh subscribes to it, and he'll be telling you about a really fucking awesome match he had on a map you've never played, and the next thing you know, "fuck it, its only 8 bucks a month anyway, but Im ONLY GONNA TRY IT FOR ONE MONTH and if its not worth it Im cancelling."

Its ok though, I bought the map pack for blackops I said I wasnt gonan buy, and then played it for what, one week? Something like that. O well, I guess it was 15 bucks well spent for that one time we all got up and played like 30 rounds of zombies on ascension. Right? I hope so, cause thats the only thing that ever came from that 15 bucks I could ever describe as a simulation of "fun."
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:25 pm

They'll probably offer the maps separate like a map pack without forcing you to get into their subscription. I'd get the maps.

Doubt Josh will do a subscription if they offer the maps separate and if they do I'm sure it'll function like other PS3 unlockables/DLC and be sharable.

You didn't have to buy that BO map pack, I could've fileshared it with you. & We played that zombie game damn near as much as we played the multiplayer.
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 7:07 pm

Well...

I never asked (you dont ask someone to fileshare, thats just not how its done) and I never gave you a chance to offer because the idea was to fileshare with my brother.

It was supposed to be him buying it (he owed me money) (and he owes me a SHIT TON of money now, but thats neither here nor there) (I mean, I bought this dude a fucking ps3 for fucks sake, and gave him loads of my games) but anyway, he was suppoed to buy it and I would fileshare it from his ps3 (aka my "other" ps3 since I bought and payed for it lol)

Anyway, it all got fucked up somehow, I dont remember what it was, something about someone forgetting to bring a credit card or something, but long story short I ended up paying for it and he fileshared it off of my ps3, the manipulative little cuntbag.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:02 am

Yeah don't get me wrong if you would've been like "Hey fuck you give me the map pack" I'd have just laughed and made an excuse about PS3s breaking and wanting to keep my file sharing ability up.

I still owed Josh a bit of money from back in the SiC days so I got it this time and let him download off me, next time he's getting it and I'll get it off him. Super got this last map pack off me too.

But if you fileshared it off one of us your brother wouldn't have had it on his PS3. So it's probably best you did it the way you did.

Make sure he doesn't delete the account, if he still has a PS3. Cause his maps could go missing and your PS3 isn't exactly available.
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:46 am

AmPLiFiKaTioN wrote:
I never understood why DICE never implemented that feature into BC2. Obviously not everyone is going to have the DLC, so why fuck everyone over by making them resquad every time a DLC map pops up?

I actually agree with the VIP concept. People moan a lot about video game piracy - i.e. getting the game without paying money to the developers which is understandably illegal.
Then look at used games. The person buying it used also pays nothing towards the developers, to them it as if the first person bought it and that was the end of it. 2 players, 1 sale. And this is completely legal.
There are TONS of anti-piracy measures, what is wrong with implementing an anti-used game measure to encourage people to actually pay at least a small amount of money to the developers that actually made the game.
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 am

The thing I don't get about this system is....

A. It is nothing new. Tribes 2 had a great in game system for clans, email, a web-browser and such before platforms like Steam. Bungie's halo 3 and reach systems are somewhat similar to my knowledge and is a great system

B. HOW can they charge for this? Support systems should be expected in many games. Like I said, it is nothing new...Activision is just retarded
Back to top Go down
http://www.gametanamo.com
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 3:28 pm

GnarlyBromance wrote:
Activision is just retarded
Yep, making money off idiots is retarded. Activision are geniuses.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
Xycolian
Property of Gametanamo
Xycolian

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 5:07 pm

I hope that this feature isn't an overwhelming success for activison, because if it is it might prompt other companies to implement this kind of shit.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm

They've been talking about it for a while, wouldn't surprise me if FPS went the way of WoW.

Would've expected it more from EA though, they'll probably have to 1-up Activision now.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Fido wrote:
They've been talking about it for a while, wouldn't surprise me if FPS went the way of WoW.

Would've expected it more from EA though, they'll probably have to 1-up Activision now.
Why would you expect it more of EA? Considering that Activision is partnered with Blizzard, and Blizzard made WoW, it seems perfectly logical that Activision would do this sooner or later. EA doesn't have the history.
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Fido wrote:

EA already have the better system of the two. Notice how so many EA games have VIP type systems. Recouping losses from used games sales has to be better and certainly a lot less intrusive than this sort of pointless subscription service
Back to top Go down
AmPLiFiKaTioN
Astro Jesus
AmPLiFiKaTioN

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Daedra wrote:

I actually agree with the VIP concept. People moan a lot about video game piracy - i.e. getting the game without paying money to the developers which is understandably illegal.
Then look at used games. The person buying it used also pays nothing towards the developers, to them it as if the first person bought it and that was the end of it. 2 players, 1 sale. And this is completely legal.
There are TONS of anti-piracy measures, what is wrong with implementing an anti-used game measure to encourage people to actually pay at least a small amount of money to the developers that actually made the game.
I understand where they're coming from by implementing it, but I still think it's bullshit to make players wait for content already on the disc.
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:05 pm

AmPLiFiKaTioN wrote:

I understand where they're coming from by implementing it, but I still think it's bullshit to make players wait for content already on the disc.

True. Which is why I agree with BC2 VIP in principle but not implementation
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I agree with genocide and rape in principle but not implementation.
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't think I want to be around you any more

*runs*
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 am

Fido wrote:
I agree with genocide and rape in principle but not implementation.
No you don't. Even in theory those things are unfair and unpleasant. The VIP system is not. That was a foolish post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CoD features a subscription service   CoD features a subscription service Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CoD features a subscription service
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next