Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DA2: First Impressions

Go down 
+3
Fido
GnarlyBromance
RoninHo'in
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

fecking super nerds are upset at any game that doesn't require complex equations to figure out the best way to min/max ur character.

I hail from tabletop roleplaying, and can appreciate good RPG mechanics.... but video games are different. I don't want to deal with that shiz anymore honestly.

Over complicating something does not make it better.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Ronin0ni wrote:
fecking super nerds are upset at any game that doesn't require complex equations to figure out the best way to min/max ur character.

I hail from tabletop roleplaying, and can appreciate good RPG mechanics.... but video games are different. I don't want to deal with that shiz anymore honestly.

Yes, but in DA:O the inventory was fine, there was no need to change it.
Nor was there any need to only give us 3 specs.
Nor was there any need to make the quests dull, uninteresting and pointless.
The list goes on.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:22 pm

My main problems with the game are bad voice acting, bad script, bad story. I liked Origins less than this, but it still feels weak.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:26 pm

I actually like the star rating system in the inventory...

at a glance you can see what gear is good and what is in need of upgrading
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Only downside I think I saw was no armor on the NPC's... they have permanent "Decent" armor gear.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Ronin0ni wrote:
I actually like the star rating system in the inventory...

at a glance you can see what gear is good and what is in need of upgrading
It's rubbish though. Example

Ring 1: +5 attack, +2 stamina, 3 stars.
Ring 2: +5 attack, +2 stamina, 2 stars.

This has happened on a number of occasions...
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Ronin0ni wrote:

With all due respect, you're full of shit. Mashing the "a" button every fight is not "over-complicating." Hell, that's a borderline workout; dull, repetitive, and you need to replace equipment (xbox controller, in this case.)
Star rating is also an archaic form of crap that malnourished, mentally diseased retards need to use.

DLC on the first day? fudge sellouts.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 am

They better not fudge up Mass Effect 3.

I had no doubts about Bioware's capability until now, they messed up Dragon Age 2 a shitload, and if they screw up Mass Effect 3 I will be pissed.

Bioware used to be awesome, what the hell happened?
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:54 am

EA? They did it to DICE too remember?
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:38 am

DICE was with EA for all the BFs though (Even the masterpiece ones)...Bioware just joined in 2007.

EA seems to be giving dice the room they need with their plan. BF3 has been in development for quite a while even during BC, and BC2....they are also making sure they put the resources into it by not starting Mirrors Edge 2 yet as they said they want everybody working on BF3.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gametanamo.com
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Fido wrote:
EA? They did it to DICE too remember?

Yeah, but Mass Effect 1 and 2 were published by EA (at least the windows version of Mass Effect 1 was, the console version was published by Microsoft Game Studios) so I wouldn't really blame them too much. Mass Effect 2 is still the best RPG I have played to date, with the exception of maybe KOTOR (again, made by Bioware).

I'm really hoping this was just a one-off, and the first-day DLC did nothing for their image.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Even the way you pick up quests is lame. I was thinking about this earlier...you know how in ME1 you got most of the sidequests because you'd be walking past someone, and they'd say, "Hey, Shepherd!" or something, and then you'd talk to them and you'd get a job. In DA, both 1 and 2...there are glowing arrows. What the f?
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:19 pm

My favourite quote by far, not sure why I found it so funny, but it had me roaring:

Veld: This bastard kill Merrek
Hawke: Merrek? What's a Merrek?
Veld: My brother you bastard!
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Alyss wrote:
Even the way you pick up quests is lame. I was thinking about this earlier...you know how in ME1 you got most of the sidequests because you'd be walking past someone, and they'd say, "Hey, Shepherd!" or something, and then you'd talk to them and you'd get a job. In DA, both 1 and 2...there are glowing arrows. What the f?

? You act like that's a totally new concept

Also, don't forget DA and ME are 2 COMPLETELY separate teams.

IMO everyone who doesn't like DA2 was expecting an in depth RPG...... 30 seconds of the Demo and I knew it was more action, light RPG hybrid.

In comparison to ARPG's, DA2 is awesome....

Trying to rate it as a full pure RPG... it won't stack up as well.

just my .02

As an ARPG it gets an 8/10 in my book....

If you want to rate it as just an RPG.... prolly a 7. Decent, but not great
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:19 pm

^I know it's not a new concept, I was just illustrating how a quest should be initiated to preserve the 4th wall, and how DA actually does it. Regardless of whether the games have different teams, DA's staff should know that putting a glowing arrow about someone's head is a lame idea.

And: As far as I'm aware, isn't ME (both 1 and 2) an action rpg as well? Those games aren't crap. The writing in DA is just plain bad, and the story gets worse and worse as you go. The action elements are the only things I particularly like about it - they streamlined and tidied the stuff from Origins to a degree I feel was vastly better. I really didn't like Origins past its value as a timesink, so I'm not butthurt they changed stuff. They should have changed even more, like opening the world up and firing their writing staff.

So...your theory is plain wrong, Ronin. I was after an ARPG, and don't like DA2. If it had been good, I'd want to play it again; instead, what finishing DA2 did was made we want to play Mass Effect again.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm

I contemplated Mass Effect 2, then remembered I started again as a Vanguard on Insanity and was currently on Omega, so thought "fudge that" and went on my merry way down to the bonepit to see what bastard had killed all my miners.

Half an hour, 9 health potions, 5 injuries and a dragon carcass later, I decided I should have gone with Omega.

Damn stupidly long boss fights.
Damn Isabela who is seemingly made out of glass
Damn Anders and his habit of eating fireballs
Damn Aveline and her crappy threat
Damn this game!
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:58 am

Aveline (or any Warrior) maintains threat through proper taunt usage.

It transfers 100% of threat. So what you want to do is open up with a massive AoE attack from all your characters, hold ground and taunt when they get close, this resets the rest of your parties threat and sends all enemy at her.

On normal you can usually just let her spam threat via tactics... but on hard that doesn't seem enough IMO... you need a lot more direct control on hard.

Also.... there are some other added threat gen abilities.....

however... I've been thinkin about takin that 2 handed elf instead.... only problem is he's squishier... but swingin for 3-4 hits per normal swing has gotta help his threat gen.... and it's easier to heal 1 then 3
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Halfway through the fight I realised why she wasn't keeping threat, one of Isabela's tactics was to use "Across the Bow" (taunt move) on an elite mob or higher.

The dragon battles in this one are a lot better than Origins at least, much less knock-back, in Origins there was no spot you could stand without getting a swift kick to the face every few seconds, making melee very annoying indeed.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:04 pm

yah, that was a common theme in almost all bioware games actually....

I remember fighting dragons in Baldurs gate.... so annoying getting constant knockback
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Well I just completed the game.

As a whole, I am sorely disappointed with this game, probably the first RPG where I honestly rushed to the end as quick as possible because I really couldn't be arsed with the stupidly tedious and bland side-quests.

As for the characters (possible minor spoilers):

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 8:30 pm

You know what else was shit? Zero post climactic resolution after Merril's personal quest. You wipe out her whole clan and never have a conversation about it afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Oho, the truth: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2978-Dragon-Age-II
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Yahtzee, you've done it again!
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 am

I started a game on DA2 yesyerday, and stopped after about 10 mins to go back to ME2. Such a better game.
Back to top Go down
Xycolian
Property of Gametanamo
Xycolian

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Encb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DA2: First Impressions   DA2: First Impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DA2: First Impressions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2