Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles

Go down 
+5
St NickelStew
CptnShotgun
RoninHo'in
Fido
GnarlyBromance
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Empty
PostSubject: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 am

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/battlefield-3-frostbite-2-engine-interview/

Might have some problems on consoles judging by the tone of the article..."not able to see a working console build yet"

tehehe

interesting quote here

Quote :
Given the six year gap between Battlefield 2 and 3, I asked if Battlefield 4 would require a hypothethical new engine beyond this one. It's unlikely, as Bach seems to think the team has matured to more regularly work on the core franchise. "I think we learned by experimenting with these other things (Bad Company, Battlefield 1943, etc.) that the core is quite powerful. We should probably spend more energy on the core than on these experimental things."
Back to top Go down
http://www.gametanamo.com
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:14 am

HYPE HYPE

I touch myself at night
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Yet you play the biggest HYPE series in existence.....

I LOOOOVE sweet sweet Irony.... Fido, pls never go
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Ronin0ni wrote:

Yet you play the biggest HYPE series in existence.....

I LOOOOVE sweet sweet Irony.... Fido, pls never go

Nope, I think that title goes to GoW2, at least CoD has SOME substance.

GoW2 is a laggy, buggy, P.O.S game with an obsession with shotguns and stupid vacuum chainsaws. Not to mention the stupid cliches, ridiculously muscular men jumping around like f*cking acrobats DOWN FUDGING STAIRS and blatant host advantage (more so than CoD, I'm talking phase through bullets, stupid-powerful guns etc...).

Did I mention the lag?

Was gonna post something about BF3, but totally lost my train of thought.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:06 pm

where the frack did GoW2 come in?? lmao

and CoD still has more hype anyways... GoW2 maybe be nothing BUT hype, but COD still has more hype (I'll concede COD has substance.... uhm.... sure, I guess)
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:33 pm

CoD's a great game, I dunno what you're talking about. It works, as opposed to BC2. The game was designed right and had some quality control going on sometime during the development process.

It's the people playing BC2 laughing at CoD fanboys while going OMG OMG OMG BF3 OMG SIGN MY BOOB PLZ DICE. There's the part where we laugh at you.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:07 pm

CoD is an ok game...

that's about it.

and BC2 works fine... it has glitches but who the feck cares? I mean really?

zomg I died cause of a stupid game glitch, my life is OOOOVER.

No... I just laugh, say "feck you game" and go back to having fun.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:12 pm

I care about the glitches. So does everyone else who played it at one point... and now no longer does. Everyone I know IRL got rid of the game. You BC2 players are out of my monkeysphere already and you have been since like the summer of lag.

CoD is an OK game which happens to be the most functional game available. End.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:00 pm

functional... sure... I guess... when it doesn't give you some fecktard host that is... I tend to pick my games on fun factor... which is where COD is just kinda bland to me. It does what it does great... I just don't like what it does.

The "Summer of lag" was like 3 weeks... BFD all the whiny schoolkid brats had to go outside for a few weeks in summer... I was busy enough it didn't bother me... they fixed it, game runs great now.

It's not like it's full of game breaking glitches like BFBC1 FFS, yet you LOOVED that game... no, it just glitches out on geometry, or the knife stab, or something else totally random.

FACT: I get FAAAR less lag in BC2 these days then I do in Blops
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:15 pm

BC2 plays awesome....I never see any problems you mention ESPECIALLY with the switch to PC. I play it every night along with thousands of others on tons of FULL servers. I pop up the server list and see pages of 32/32 servers...LOVE IT
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:18 pm

I like what it does so I support it. BC2 doesn't do what it does very well at all.

And BC1 was a fun game to play, BC2 wasn't. That's what makes them different. BC2 is also broken beyond hope but lacks good maps and graphics and good vehicles (which pretty much carried BC1). So BC2 is like BC1 minus the fun gameplay... making it utter shit.

Fact: I quit BC2 because of lag and people tout its dedicated servers and so on but it lags far more than BO.

And FYI, summer of lag was all summer. It was more than 3 weeks. It was 3 months minimum. It went from May all the way to July and after that it was still around, only less severe so people could bear it compared to before when it was just impossible to play. Remember they blamed it on people's ISPs? Ha.

And the whiny schoolkid brats that you talk about are actually college students who played in their free time. They don't give a damn about the loyalty to DICE that you guys have or anything like that. The game sucked and was broken so they got rid of it.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Like I said... Whiny school brats

I only had bad lag for about 3 weeks... outside of those 3 weeks, my lag times with BC2 have been consistantly better then ANY p2p game.

BC2 has good maps too btw...

Hastings, Phu Bai, Oasis, Harvest Day, Heavy Metal (if 20 players+) are the best

Panama Canal, Laguna Presa, Hill 137, and Atacama Desert are also all good maps

Arica Harbor is good too... but feck they need to drop the ticket count on that map already
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Considering all the maps I know of in BC2 are awful, I'm gonna assume the ones I don't know about are also awful.
Back to top Go down
St NickelStew
Midget
St NickelStew

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Fido wrote:
Considering all the maps I know of in BC2 are awful, I'm gonna assume the ones I don't know about are also awful.

Nope. They absolutely saved the best for last, and with Harvest Day and Heavy Metal in particular very clearly responded to complaints about earlier maps.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Pfff, people are too easily pacified. Would the Egyptians have settled for a tax cut? What DICE did to their patrons was inexcusable. Hare-brained scheme after scheme and low quality games to boot. Then shortly before abandoning the game they placate the masses a bit and suddenly DICE is God again.
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Fido wrote:
Pfff, people are too easily pacified. Would the Egyptians have settled for a tax cut? What DICE did to their patrons was inexcusable. Hare-brained scheme after scheme and low quality games to boot. Then shortly before abandoning the game they placate the masses a bit and suddenly DICE is God again.

DICE and EA were experimenting with new things...Bad Company in its entirety was simply an experiment...a profitable one, but just that. They have ADMITTED everything they did wrong. No smart company makes the same mistake twice.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Their experimentation gave them the virtual equivalent of Herpes.

VIP still cracks me up when I think about what a fail that was.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 pm

EA's inability to fix the servers is inexcusable. First, it was the player's fault(i.e. console users. PC's R10 patch had a spawn glitch where your firewall would lock the game out.) Second, it was Comcast's fault. Third, they patched up the servers and made it region-specific.

People in the UK didn't have much lag after that, with America still suffering. Sooo, people start connecting to the UK servers from the US because the servers were so much sugar. And, for the first time I've ever seen, a Dev posted on the US forums (JoeGrant) after his attention was brought by a senior mod, and EA finally spent their fudge pool of gold on new servers.

I'm positive that summer of lag killed sales, along with the sugar-tacular matchmaking setup (roll dice to see what abandoned server you land in. fudge yea!)

So yea, I've never had that much issue in a P2P game unlike those servers.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 pm

VIP was a marketting scheme.... it's not like it cost you anything FFS... not unless u were an uninformed buyer of used games anyways lol

Supposedly too, BF3 will be on an all new server system... by that I mean matchmaking. GVD told me that BC2 still used the same old hashed server logic from much older titles, which had a huge influence on leaving out server lists apparently.... Really, their matchmaking/load balancing is my only complaint I have against the game as it stands

Everyone makes such a big deal out of VIP... when all it was was the first 3 "map packs" being ready at launch but dolled out slowly to buy them time to finish propagating map packs 4-6 and make MP7 and Vietnam while putting a marketting spin on it... THATS IT....

Zomg, the world is effing over. the end product is great, I STILL play it almost daily... Blops isn't entertaining enough for me to prestige even once. You can make up whatever excuses about skill that you want, the game is just dull. It's not without it's virtues, but IMO its core gameplay isn't one of them.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Ronin you are the easiest person I know to placate. You were up on the pedestal saying BC2 wasn't worth it and raging about DICE and the VIP scheme too when it was going on. Now that it's over you're like... meh... hit me again DICE.

As for their marketing spin... it failed. I never bought Vietnam and neither did anyone I know. Their Vietnam sales must have been abysmal.
Back to top Go down
GnarlyBromance
Admin
GnarlyBromance

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Fido wrote:
Ronin you are the easiest person I know to placate. You were up on the pedestal saying BC2 wasn't worth it and raging about DICE and the VIP scheme too when it was going on. Now that it's over you're like... meh... hit me again DICE.

As for their marketing spin... it failed. I never bought Vietnam and neither did anyone I know. Their Vietnam sales must have been abysmal.

Sales were actually quite good, it is among the top games constantly being played on steam. The game even jumped up with more popularity with the BF3 announcement. I have seen higher numbers than when I started playing on PC (almost double numbers)

Plus, at the $19.99 price point (15 more for vietnam) it is a great deal to jump in now, there are many strong PC communities that play, I play with the Reddit.com community quite a bit.

Vietnam was the revitalization the game needed (along with the addition of MP 7) Vietnam is basically a stand alone game, with an amazing atmosphere (and some real gems of maps)
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm

@Fido

I'm sorry but (from a PC standpoint at least) the BC2 release was a million times better than Blops release.
BC2 was functional from the start, the patches (both client and server) fixed pretty much everything that needed fixing eventually and now we are left with a game that works perfectly well. Some of the maps aren't brilliant but they are simply taken out of circulation on the servers (i.e. no Nelson Bay or Isla Inocentes to be seen).
The weapons have been balanced and now nothing screams out OP (like the M60 and A94) like before and everything is well balanced. The glitches have mostly been fixed and the hit reg is back to how it was in a previous patch (i.e. decent).

Look at Blops, MASSIVE performance issues on capable PCs, terrible netcode on the part of customisation (playercard loading in particular). Weapon unbalance still stands and no attempt has been made to address it. They are out of touch with the community (unlike DICE) and instead of DICE releasing new modes for maps every so often, they release a map pack that is mind blowingly expensive for what it is. The map pack is also released at 3 different random times on the platforms. You criticise Vietnam yet at least that adds all that stuff where all you get for the same price on Blops you get a couple of maps. Whoop-de-doo
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Stats disagree with you. By "Among the top games" you mean 12th with less than 10,000 people on? K. Sure. Among the top games.

Putting that pathetic amount down for a moment (BO on PS3 rarely sees less than 500,000 users online at any given time, which I'm sure is similar on Xbox, and regularly goes over 700,000). Look at Modern Warfail 2. Modern Warfail 2 came out November 2009. BC2 came out March 2010. BC2 is the latest BF game out at the moment. Modern Warfail 2 has been made obsolete thanks to BO. So I'm not comparing BO to BC2 - I'm comparing an obsolete game that's been out longer - and BC2 is losing. Hard.

BC2 is down to 20 bucks to purchase. That's called giving up and letting the latecomers in. The game jumped in popularity - which won't last - because it's bargain bin now.
Back to top Go down
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Fido wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Stats disagree with you. By "Among the top games" you mean 12th with less than 10,000 people on? K. Sure. Among the top games.

Putting that pathetic amount down for a moment (BO on PS3 rarely sees less than 500,000 users online at any given time, which I'm sure is similar on Xbox, and regularly goes over 700,000). Look at Modern Warfail 2. Modern Warfail 2 came out November 2009. BC2 came out March 2010. BC2 is the latest BF game out at the moment. Modern Warfail 2 has been made obsolete thanks to BO. So I'm not comparing BO to BC2 - I'm comparing an obsolete game that's been out longer - and BC2 is losing. Hard.

BC2 is down to 20 bucks to purchase. That's called giving up and letting the latecomers in. The game jumped in popularity - which won't last - because it's bargain bin now.

You can't really use Steam for the stats. Steam will show ALL Blops players whenever they play. Only a small proportion own BC2 on Steam (i.e. not me)
I'll quote Xfire instead:
Minues played today:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Multiplayer

World of Warcraft

Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer

League of Legends

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Oh look, Blops is missing...
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Daedra wrote:

Look at Blops, MASSIVE performance issues on capable PCs, terrible netcode on the part of customisation (playercard loading in particular). Weapon unbalance still stands and no attempt has been made to address it. They are out of touch with the community (unlike DICE) and instead of DICE releasing new modes for maps every so often, they release a map pack that is mind blowingly expensive for what it is. The map pack is also released at 3 different random times on the platforms. You criticise Vietnam yet at least that adds all that stuff where all you get for the same price on Blops you get a couple of maps. Whoop-de-doo

I've never criticized Vietnam. I'm sure Vietnam is great. If you look back through my posts, I never ever say "Vietnam is bad" or anything similar. I said people never got to the point where Vietnam was a purchase that would get them any benefit... since BC2 sucked so hard it wasn't worth keeping. That said I cannot imagine Vietnam being fun to play. I just can't. With the lag you get on BC2, the bad hit detection (CODED, not lag-related), the slow movement, the extremely awful controls and low sensitivity... that makes a game impossible to enjoy.

Where BC2 gives a bunch of awful, inexcusably poor map packs for free and then whops you with one decent one & some DLC, BO goes out and makes a ton of great maps with the game, THEN releases quality DLC. BC2 had very little maps included with the game and the ones they had, sucked. Bottlenecks, bad design, large amounts of nothing at all separating stupid outposts on every map. CoD maps are for the most part logical and playtested. So when BO releases a map pack, I'll buy it.

Another problem you guys have is that you claim the game works perfectly well... but it doesn't. That's the problem. You think it does because you've gotten used to the little bugs and the glitches and the stupid display errors. On other games they fix that stuff. DICE just lets you get used to it. That's shameful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles   Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great article about Battlefield 3 tech...and consoles
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next