Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Revitalizing this old dead horse

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Revitalizing this old dead horse Empty
PostSubject: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Any suggestions on

a) Canned forum suite (eg; phpBB, invision, etc)

b) Site host (probably nothing free as this forummotion shit is riddled with trackers and shit ads... cheap with php and MySQL)

c) Requested features?
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey ronin, congrats on the kid thing, condolences on the getting married thing.

a, b) whatever, dont care much personally. I'd be happy to pitch in if we go the non-free route.

c) ability to post, ability to read the posts posted by others, ability to talk about bullshit. Thats all I can think of. 

I wonder if "revitalizing" means you want to attract new members. I wouldn't really care much about that personally, just about catching up with folks is all I'd be on for.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 10:17 pm

If you guys need like seed money or something, let me know.

I've been mainly wasting money on a Minecraft server lately.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm looking to start this off with very low costs, so seed money shouldn't be a problem. I'll set up a donor system eventually but it's not a priority (and forum status probably) for sustained costs, which should still remain low (but hey, if anyone wants to help pay for it I'll gladly share the burden there Razz )

Forums and Chat are definitely requirements for new board, going to try and see about an "articles" section too if anyone is interested in writing reviews/opinion pieces/etc that are gaming related. Articles would of course have comments section for their own discussion. (Basically they'd just be larger, better written posts by flagged members)

I'm not looking to make the site yuge or anything, but it'd be good I think to get some more members just for more regular discussion and people to argue with. We'll primarily lean on content and good SEO to draw new users. Mordor is now dead, so we might pick up some of their users. Anyone with thick skin and not easily offended is welcome though.
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 7:37 pm

whats Mordor?
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 2:17 am

Yeah, I haven't heard about that. Is that just a Ronin thing?

Maybe we should figure out the forum structure first, get that all in order, then wipe the current forum (and those ancient stickies)  and go from there?

If you need to pay for hosting costs, assuming you're keeping it all at a bare minimum required to operate (you can always expand if we exceed maximum bandwidth, etc) I can help with that. I'm not saying I'm gonna dump hundreds of bucks into dead forum necromancy, but if we want to try this for a few months, I don't have a problem fronting the hosting costs. 

I wouldn't mind getting to ditch the ads. 

We'd have to talk about the terms of operation, though. Like, no limiting this place to just a few popular games. I know some people, like Super, still play the original BFBC with a few other dedicated die-hards.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Fido wrote:
Yeah, I haven't heard about that. Is that just a Ronin thing?

Maybe we should figure out the forum structure first, get that all in order, then wipe the current forum (and those ancient stickies)  and go from there?

If you need to pay for hosting costs, assuming you're keeping it all at a bare minimum required to operate (you can always expand if we exceed maximum bandwidth, etc) I can help with that. I'm not saying I'm gonna dump hundreds of bucks into dead forum necromancy, but if we want to try this for a few months, I don't have a problem fronting the hosting costs. 

I wouldn't mind getting to ditch the ads. 

We'd have to talk about the terms of operation, though. Like, no limiting this place to just a few popular games. I know some people, like Super, still play the original BFBC with a few other dedicated die-hards.
Mordor is where many of the EAUK user-base went with the shutdown of EAUK forums.

We were the ones who got banned pre-shutdown. 

And this will definitely be all games... obscure games even encouraged really. Obviously we'll have discussions about popular games as well, but I'd like only a thread per game, so BF1 gets no more presence than obscure indie games (more posts in thread maybe, but just as many threads... 1)
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 3:14 am

I can't believe I remember my password from over 6 years ago
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 9:19 am

g@t0rb00bz1990?
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 11:18 am

Creative, but no
Back to top Go down
MadCunt
Property of Gametanamo
MadCunt

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 1:23 am

bat wrote:
g@t0rb00bz1990?
furryfucker1993?
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Hah! Some things just never die, eh?
Back to top Go down
MadCunt
Property of Gametanamo
MadCunt

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 12:49 am

^distant memories - don't worry, they'll be gone soon enough too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revitalizing this old dead horse   Revitalizing this old dead horse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revitalizing this old dead horse
Page 1 of 1