Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ISPs can monitor you now

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fido
emo
Fido

ISPs can monitor you now Empty
PostSubject: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:09 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/opinion/rushkoff-online-monitoring/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Back to top Go down
SomeMexicanGuy
TL;DR
SomeMexicanGuy

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:30 pm

Fuck, I have to actually start buying music now?
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Spotify, Pandora, or YT downloaders.
Back to top Go down
SomeMexicanGuy
TL;DR
SomeMexicanGuy

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:47 pm

I use YT downloadner now but wouldn't that get me one of those warning letters once all the ISPs start monitoring us?
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:00 pm

SomeMexicanGuy wrote:
I use YT downloadner now but wouldn't that get me one of those warning letters once all the ISPs start monitoring us?

no, they can't tell if you'r recording what you stream
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 pm

That's not recording what you stream, though, that's straight up downloading from Youtube.

And doesn't streaming appear like downloading? Since you are in effect downloading the stuff you stream, just temporarily. I think the ISPs are looking for specific types of packet flow, from torrents.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Fido wrote:
That's not recording what you stream, though, that's straight up downloading from Youtube.

And doesn't streaming appear like downloading? Since you are in effect downloading the stuff you stream, just temporarily. I think the ISPs are looking for specific types of packet flow, from torrents.

yes, streaming is downloading. YT downloader internet traffic looks the same to the ISP as streaming from YT.

You can record Pandora and/or Spotify streams as well, splice out the songs from your recording, and again, they'd never be able to tell.

and, FWIW, YT downloader DOES record the stream... that's how it "downloads" but you don't have to actually wait the time to play as it records the stream buffer as it comes down.

And yes, the primary thing ISPs are looking for is torrent activity... torrents are quite distinctive in their activity.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 pm

It gets the file straight off the server, you don't have to have the page open (or have ever opened it, or seen the video in question). There's no streaming to actually record from.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Fido wrote:
It gets the file straight off the server, you don't have to have the page open (or have ever opened it, or seen the video in question). There's no streaming to actually record from.

A stream gets the file straight off the server, and plays while it downloads.

It's literally the same thing. The only difference is how the client, your computer, processes it.

Again, there is literally absolutely NO difference except that the YT downloader doesn't make an HTML page request prior to downloading the file.

However, 1 could conceivably make a YT player, that fetches the YT movie by ID the same way but streams it to a player instead of recording it to a file, that would also never make the HTML request.

In fact.... that's EXACTLY what the youtube player apps on tablets and xbox do.
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
Fido

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Ah, got it.
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:44 pm

i dont care. Comporium is too lazy to do anything.
Back to top Go down
SomeMexicanGuy
TL;DR
SomeMexicanGuy

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:06 pm

gut wrote:
i dont care. Comporium is too lazy to do anything.
Probably explains all your lag issues. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Couldnt even get online to read the fucking news till 2 in the afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ISPs can monitor you now   ISPs can monitor you now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ISPs can monitor you now
Page 1 of 1