Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Path of Exile

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm

It's the year of the ARPG, and this one is my current favourite. I played the beta for D3 and got bored in a couple of hours, then played the beta for PoE3 and liked it enough to kick £5 to the developers and get closed beta access.

That's all you need to pay to start playing it today. I hear there's also a permanent open beta coming next month (they've just had the odd open beta weekend so far).

And once it's actually released, it's free to play.

I'm sure most of you have actually heard about it already. Anyway, here's the skill tree just in case you haven't:

Path of Exile Screenshot-0011
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Is this gonna be like the WoW/D2 skill tree where half of them are just noob traps or completely worthless?
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:08 pm

The vast majority are small increases to your three core stats: Int, Dex and Str. Here and there are small increases to more specific areas like one-handed weapon damage, mana regeneration, movement speed, etc. And then even more infrequently are big changes about how your character functions entirely, like life fueling spells rather than mana, or your minions exploding when they die, or your Str affecting your ranged damage instead of just your melee.

The skill tree has got a lot of schtick because it's mostly just small increases per level in particular things. But when you bear in mind that you gain absolutely everything else for your character through loot (even your spells), it makes a lot more sense. Your levelling ins't broken down into stat increases, skill increases, and special abilities, it's all just contained in the same spectrum, with gear covering everything else.

Allows for massively varied builds as a result. I'm currently working on a sword and board witch.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Mind of Skresh wrote:
Translating "massively varied"
Processing...
Processing...
Processing...

...Oh, so you mean people are gonna bumble around until they find the optimal build either through calculations or fuck around and find something utterly retarded and broken.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm saying that if you want to be the sneaky thief class and wear full plate armour and use a wand, you can do that. And if you build it right it'll work. It wont work as well as a sneaky thief using leather armour and daggers, but it'll still work. My witch is working very well indeed.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Optimal, not workable.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Well sure...but that's the case with any rpg. The stronger characters are all fireball wand witches and lighting arrow rangers last I heard. But that doesn't affect what I do with my characters, or make it less fun. It's experimentation with builds half the appeal with games like this?
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 11:02 pm

To each their own I guess. I know I play to be the best of the group, so I can see how that affects my viewpoint.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Well there is a ladder, and WookieMode mode, and the same 'complete one difficulty before moving up to the next with the same character' mechanic that's so common with ARPGs. So it's not like you can't earn respect and 'win' so to speak. I'm just saying you're not shoe-horned into that side of it if you don't want to. There's going to be PvP on release as well, though tbh I haven't been following that side of things since it doesn't interest me.

Basically, mechanics and gameplay wise, PoE is more Diablo than Diablo 3...so I'm told. I never actually played D1 or 2, but people that have say PoE is more like them than D3 is. Build experimentation, heavy punishment for mistakes, etc. It certainly looks a lot better than D3.

But I don't want this to turn into a D3 vs PoE thread, that shit goes on daily at /v/ and even within the global chat PoE itself. Just saying PoE is closer to Diablo than the most recent Diablo, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your tastes.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm

That logic could be applied as...

D3 evolved with the times, where PoE is stuck off of past, and dated mechanics.

just sayin.

What's the point of having a MASSIVE skill tree if it's 90% junk? Just to make it LOOK like there's all kinds of shit to pick from?

I suppose there's something to be said for stat point allocation... but you can achieve stat variances through gearing, and level stat point allocation pigeon holes you into only a couple options anyways.

you either min/max which is a PAINFULLY sufferable way to level as it often isn't until late game when your maxed magic stat with not a single point in health will pay off, or you go with a balanced load and end up invariably weaker then the tryhards who suffered through 100 hours of torment to end up with a god character.

I speak from personal experience, as I did EXACTLY that in D1. (and that's not counting the innumerable characters I threw away because of some stupid mistake)

Illusion of choice.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 6:01 pm

For the record, not saying PoE isn't a great game... I'm sure it is. Especially if you want that old school no-mercy leveling system.

Personally, I've wasted enough hours in pre-planning characters and re-rolling inevitable failures to want to do it again.

I understand why so many old school Diablo fans don't like D3, as it scrapped all of that. It's now much more 'fluid' and you can easily respec your character without ever, EVER needing to reroll (the same class).

I consider it a boon. Others a bane. It's just personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Don't have any criticism for D1 since I was young when I played it. Second was just grind Baal runs or get bitched at because you didn't roll a wizard or necromancer with curses. Then doubly so because you wanted to lag the game with 20 skeletons and a golem as a minion master.

I'll give it a look, been getting into the dungeon-crawlers until Ghost Recon: Future Soldier comes out.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 6:13 pm

I've been playing the Torchlight 2 beta. It's enjoyable, and the beta itself would be worth £7.50, so I'm more than willing to pay £15 for the full game. There still needs to be some creases ironed out, mainly with the boss HP bloat and the incredibly OPness of a Glaive + Dual wield wands Outlander.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 9:32 pm

RoninHo'in wrote:
For the record, not saying PoE isn't a great game... I'm sure it is. Especially if you want that old school no-mercy leveling system.

Personally, I've wasted enough hours in pre-planning characters and re-rolling inevitable failures to want to do it again.

I understand why so many old school Diablo fans don't like D3, as it scrapped all of that. It's now much more 'fluid' and you can easily respec your character without ever, EVER needing to reroll (the same class).

I consider it a boon. Others a bane. It's just personal preference.
Well yeah, I'm not at all saying PoE's skill system is objectively better than D3 (though it's graphics sure as fuck are), it's just what I've found I enjoy more. I never played D2 either, so it's not the nostalgia talking. One thing that did strike me about the D3 beta was that I didn't get a whole lot of choice about how to use my character. There's some variance in the skills and the damages involved, but you put two monks side by side and they're going to look remarkably similar. PoE doesn't do that, and I really like high customisation like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Path of Exile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Path of Exile   Path of Exile Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Path of Exile
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gametanamo Gaming Community :: Games :: Gaming-
Jump to: