A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby
 
HomeHomepageFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Oh England, My Leotard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fido
emo
avatar

Posts : 5464
Points : 5952
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Oh England, My Leotard   Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/08/11/london.riots.social.media/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

tl;dr: British PM David Cameron wants to block Facebook and Twitter for a while because people use them to organize protests.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
avatar

Posts : 5996
Points : 6333
Reputation : 55
Join date : 2010-04-30
Age : 27
Location : California/Oregon

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 pm

"Free flow of information can be used for good. But it can also be used for ill"

This sounds strangely familiar...

_________________
gut wrote:
Skresh is a 20 year old african american homosexual furfag, but hes ALSO... NARNFORNIA, a level 82 nig-elf afro-magician orc slayer in world of warcraft.
Back to top Go down
spacefox
Blatant Cocksucker


Posts : 4915
Points : 5512
Reputation : -9
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 23
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:09 pm

LMFAO, watch them blame video games now.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
avatar

Posts : 5912
Points : 6291
Reputation : 83
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 28
Location : Suzu, Japan

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:56 am

Fido wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/08/11/london.riots.social.media/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

tl;dr: British PM David Cameron wants to block Facebook and Twitter for a while because people use them to organize protests.
Lol no, they're using them to organise riots. Facebook, Twitter and BBM were all heavily used by the looters over the past week to organise and keep ahead of the police. It won't happen though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
avatar

Posts : 8156
Points : 8616
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2010-03-22
Age : 36
Location : Cali baby

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:15 pm

so what if it was....

MAYBE instead of trying to control their population (which you really can't) they should try and... I dunno.... not upset the population to rioting in the first place.

Not shooting your civilians would be a good start.


_________________
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
avatar

Posts : 5464
Points : 5952
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 pm

The guy they shot was a criminal and he had a gun on him. He didn't shoot it is why people are so upset.

In the US, this would've not even caused anyone to raise an eyebrow.

'Gun runner shot during police raid on taxi'
Cop involved in shooting: "He pulled a gun, it was him or us"

Wouldn't even hit the national news lol.

I'm glad I'm out of Europe. It's getting too civilized. They're giving the bad guys more rights than the cops. And now they're managing to look like a police state.

As for Facebook and Twitter, people can talk in other ways if those were gone. You can text or call or IM or Skype. What do they think it's gonna accomplish? The gangs organizing through it are gonna text each other with "Facebook's down call me"
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
avatar

Posts : 8156
Points : 8616
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2010-03-22
Age : 36
Location : Cali baby

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:45 pm

well... twitter is easier to spread word to a much larger crowd....

still, they've no right to stop it.....

Hell, doing so will only incite more angst

_________________
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
avatar

Posts : 5912
Points : 6291
Reputation : 83
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 28
Location : Suzu, Japan

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 am

RoninHo'in wrote:
so what if it was....

MAYBE instead of trying to control their population (which you really can't) they should try and... I dunno.... not upset the population to rioting in the first place.

Not shooting your civilians would be a good start.

(a) I don't want to hear that from an American. Your country doesn't have a leg to stand on as regards a solid justice system, or indeed welfare in general.
(b) The looters aren't politically motivated in any way, shape or form. They're greedy bastards robbing from their own communities. They didn't go after banks, political landmarks, anything like that - they've just been smashing up shops and stealing trainers/widescreen TVs/perfume/cigarettes. The family of Mark Duggan (the guy that got shot), have repeatedly condemned the looting and said it has nothing to do with his death.

Now granted, politics and economics certainly play a part in all this - it's no coincidence that all of the looting has been going on in neighbourhoods with bad crime figures and a lot of unemployment. But that kind of stuff is more an unconscious layer on the psyche rather than a conscious motivation; in the interviews I've seen with looters, they don't even have a clue which party's in power. Regardless of how shitty your neighbourhood is, trashing shops, stealing, and attacking the police isn't justified.

@Fido: He did have a gun on him, but he didn't fire it. Both the original police report and the findings of the Independent Police Complaints Commission show that Duggan didn't fire first. He might have waved it around, or they might have just be scared he was going to flip out any minute and pop them all, but they shot him up close while he was in the back of a taxi and hadn't fired at them.

As regards facebook/twitter: No-one seriously thinks the government will block it, I doubt very much that Cameron even meant it seriously. He wanted a headline grab, it's a stupid idea and will never happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
Fido
emo
avatar

Posts : 5464
Points : 5952
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Alyss wrote:


@Fido: He did have a gun on him, but he didn't fire it. Both the original police report and the findings of the Independent Police Complaints Commission show that Duggan didn't fire first. He might have waved it around, or they might have just be scared he was going to flip out any minute and pop them all, but they shot him up close while he was in the back of a taxi and hadn't fired at them.

But how does that put the police in a bad light? A wanted criminal on the lam has a gun on him and gets shot when police try to arrest him. That's just an "Oh, yeah, no surprise there" story. If he had it concealed and had put his hands up and the cops THEN shot him as he was complying with their demands, then, yeah, then you have a problem. But cops wouldn't have shot him then. He must've made them think in some way that it was him or them. The fact that he knew he was a wanted criminal and decided to carry a gun... he kinda had it coming. Not saying he deserved to die, but if this happened in the US it wouldn't have made headlines.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
avatar

Posts : 8156
Points : 8616
Reputation : 47
Join date : 2010-03-22
Age : 36
Location : Cali baby

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Alyss wrote:
(a) I don't want to hear that from an American. Your country doesn't have a leg to stand on as regards a solid justice system, or indeed welfare in general.
(b) The looters aren't politically motivated in any way, shape or form. They're greedy bastards robbing from their own communities. They didn't go after banks, political landmarks, anything like that - they've just been smashing up shops and stealing trainers/widescreen TVs/perfume/cigarettes. The family of Mark Duggan (the guy that got shot), have repeatedly condemned the looting and said it has nothing to do with his death.

Now granted, politics and economics certainly play a part in all this - it's no coincidence that all of the looting has been going on in neighbourhoods with bad crime figures and a lot of unemployment. But that kind of stuff is more an unconscious layer on the psyche rather than a conscious motivation; in the interviews I've seen with looters, they don't even have a clue which party's in power. Regardless of how shitty your neighbourhood is, trashing shops, stealing, and attacking the police isn't justified.

@Fido: He did have a gun on him, but he didn't fire it. Both the original police report and the findings of the Independent Police Complaints Commission show that Duggan didn't fire first. He might have waved it around, or they might have just be scared he was going to flip out any minute and pop them all, but they shot him up close while he was in the back of a taxi and hadn't fired at them.

As regards facebook/twitter: No-one seriously thinks the government will block it, I doubt very much that Cameron even meant it seriously. He wanted a headline grab, it's a stupid idea and will never happen.

a) you should know well by now I don't consider myself "American"... I am.... according to those with power... but I don't believe in borders... or owning land.... or any of the other bullshit. You should know that about me by now. Second, You should also know I have no love for American authorities either, and am just as quick to criticize them for their numerous flaws. For sure there are plenty more deaths by police in the USA per capita then in probably any major European country.

b) I agree with 100%. You lose any righteousness when you stray from political purpose and devolve into greedy looting. But as you yourself stated, there is political and economic issues that helped create the animosity and general discontent.

If he pointed the gun at people... I could understand putting him down before someone innocent got hurt. But as you said, from what I understand he just waved it around in the air.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
avatar

Posts : 5464
Points : 5952
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Waving it around in the air as you're getting arrested is so stupid you DESERVE to be shot.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
avatar

Posts : 5912
Points : 6291
Reputation : 83
Join date : 2010-03-19
Age : 28
Location : Suzu, Japan

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:00 pm

I don't know if he even waved it around. The IPCC hasn't said anything definite yet - the investigation is ongoing and they're legally obliged not to say anything they don't know for 100% sure.

Ronin, I just fail to see how your comment about 'not upsetting the populace' holds up at all. The stuff in Totenham kicked off because of pure rumour-mongering, and everything after that was just opportunistic looting. I know plenty of people from shitty backgrounds who didn't get involved - I'd have sympathy if they went on a protest, but they were just thieves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
Xycolian
Property of Gametanamo
avatar

Posts : 679
Points : 775
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28
Location : In Extremis, Moribund.

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:04 pm

lol imagine being the cop who pulled the trigger.... fuckin crazy
Back to top Go down
Fido
emo
avatar

Posts : 5464
Points : 5952
Reputation : 43
Join date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Bunch of kids in Philly did this sorta thing recently, right before the London stuff happened. Basically what happened was they got together and said "we're bored" and went crazy. Formed a huge flash mob and walked in a straight line and beat up/smashed anything in their path.
Back to top Go down
DTECH
Master of Facts, Factual Evidence, and Facts
avatar

Posts : 4541
Points : 4745
Reputation : -115
Join date : 2010-03-19
Location : Here

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:43 am

This shit is still going on.... wake me up when its over
Back to top Go down
SomeMexicanGuy
TL;DR
avatar

Posts : 803
Points : 828
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2010-04-11
Age : 24
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:29 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Oh England, My Leotard   

Back to top Go down
 
Oh England, My Leotard
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» nobody bought england away 2008/2010???
» Modern England
» For Sale - SBR Prepared 1969 Dodge Charger R/T International Hillclimb Car 1069BHP!
» >>>> Pongkes' <<<<
» More a Query: Fighting Sewer Monsters

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gametanamo Gaming Community :: News :: News-
Jump to: