Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Paying to Win

Go down 
+5
Skreshavik
xALIENAx
Eradicated
VILE
Alyss
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:42 pm

http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlyssSilence
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 am

Seriously, no comments yet? It's a 42 minute slideshow presentation by the guy that runs Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield Play 4 Free; it's basically a lecture about how play for free games work economically. Long story short, when BFH introduced changes to make them more money (spurred on my fear of losing their jobs), such as real money for items that gave a slight advantage in game, and a restructuring of the in-game economy so that you had to play for longer to get what you could get before, there was a massive shitstorm on their forums and in the gaming press.

However, their forum community is like this:

Paying to Win Forum_10

Plus, when they looked at the forum members who were complaining, they found that these users generally spent about 10x more than other users. After the changes were made, BFH doubled it's income. Their predicted profit margin next year is 50%.
Back to top Go down
VILE
God Damn Mother Fucking VILE
VILE

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 am

it's not a bad little game and I have no problem with micro transactions, but ones that give an actual advantage in the game are bullshit, total bullshit, and to that end I will and did boycott BFH..
Back to top Go down
Eradicated
Murderous Crack Fiend
Eradicated

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 am

meh, this is nothing new. "free-to-play" games have been always like this and it isnt going to change. The tl;dr of it is, devs make money off paid subscription/microtransation players beating the shit out of free to play gamers, and they add overpowered items to ensure that. At some point that free to play gamer is going to get tired of getting beaten on and will eventually purchase the upgrade package whatnot so the playing field is even. The free to play aspect is built to be a fairly solid base game, but at best its just a demo for the P2P side.
Back to top Go down
xALIENAx
Completely Sane and Normal Individual
xALIENAx

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:15 am

Easy solution Stop being cheap and BUY a full version game, or play Subscription Based games. Boom everyone's equal.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:08 am

Eradicated wrote:
meh, this is nothing new. "free-to-play" games have been always like this and it isnt going to change. The tl;dr of it is, devs make money off paid subscription/microtransation players beating the shit out of free to play gamers, and they add overpowered items to ensure that. At some point that free to play gamer is going to get tired of getting beaten on and will eventually purchase the upgrade package whatnot so the playing field is even. The free to play aspect is built to be a fairly solid base game, but at best its just a demo for the P2P side.
The pay items they added that were better than normal weapons didn't sound like game breakers. There were a few guns with 5 more rounds in the magazine, a couple that had their damage increases by 2, etc etc. It was all tiny little changes like that. As the guy points out at the end, there are tons of other sports out there where people can get a slight advantage if they have money - cycling, F1, golf, etc. And it's just fine.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Quote :
42 minute slideshow
Paying to Win JC-ROFL

You seriously think I'm gonna sit through that?
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:24 pm

who gives a fuck?

You don't have to pay to play.... you don't have to pay at all, and if you do, chances are you'll still only spend $10-$15 which is appropriate for a game of that caliber.

You just buy what you want, if you want... or just play at a disadvantage, which still isn't that big a deal... hardly different then starting a new account on BC2 and only having the basic equipment fighting against everyone who has everything.

PPl just like to whine and have an immense sense of entitlement these days.

and yah... wut skresh said lmao
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I just thought it was interesting ;_;
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm all for micro-transactions provided they provide DIFFERENT weapons, not overpowered ones. If you've ever played APB you'll see what Premium weapons that are stronger than their non-premium counterparts do to the game. It's been proven in TF2 that people WILL pay for purely cosmetic items, or weapons that are better in one respect but fall short somewhere else to balance it out.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:59 pm

I don't mind people paying for even minor advantages, or for earlier access in lieu of spending more time....

So long as there is still the possibility of a better skilled player beating a lesser skilled player with a default weapon.... then it's fine.

What happens is that the great players, who spend lots of time, buy up these relatively small advantages, and that compounds the difference in skill...

Honestly, it's not that much unlike someone with magnum ammo playing against someone who doesn't have a SPEC2 slot yet.... and that's a 25% boost! but of course ppl don't complain then, cause "it was earned"

I'm sorry, I have ZERO sympathy for people who are playing P4F games without putting any money down whatsoever then crying like lil babies...

seriously, how much money do these things cost? It's like a buck or 2 a weapon right? so buy up 4-5 weapons that you want and you've still spent less then an arcade game for your enjoyment. If you don't want to, well hell, you get to play for absolutely free, I don't think being at a small disadvantage cause you don't want to support the devs is really all that out of line.
Back to top Go down
HalfMiHeadBarbie
Habitual Offender
HalfMiHeadBarbie

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:02 pm

What about EA kit shortcuts. I hate being killed by a rank zero with the last gun unlocked for that kit
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Thing is, it's very rarely just a small advantage, and more of a stupidly massive one. I have yet to see a developer other than Valve to balance premium weapons. There's a difference between paying for a minor advantage or a cosmetic upgrade, and paying to win, and very few developers are getting the balance right.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 pm

CptnShotgun wrote:
Thing is, it's very rarely just a small advantage, and more of a stupidly massive one. I have yet to see a developer other than Valve to balance premium weapons. There's a difference between paying for a minor advantage or a cosmetic upgrade, and paying to win, and very few developers are getting the balance right.

I played BF P4F, if not much heroes....

and the most basic guns kill just fine...

what is it that you can buy that is so OP?

Give me examples.... and costs.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:18 pm

RoninHo'in wrote:

I was speaking in general terms, not in specifics. If I was to give an example of Premium guns dominating, it would be APB. The premium weapons have recoil reduction, level 3 mods on them (which are hard to get hold of), and things such as silencers which are completely unavailable to non-Premium members. When you come against a team with premium weapons, 9 times out of 10, you will lose. And the guns just keep getting more and more OP.

I'm sure there are games where it works, but from my personal experiences they usually don't.
Back to top Go down
Skreshavik
Mordekaiser
Skreshavik

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Alyss wrote:
I just thought it was interesting ;_;
Alyss, you write scripts, correct? I'm quite positive you understand the necessity for a "hook" in order to draw people in to whatever you're doing/presenting, especially with our generation. Giving out a random link then explaining about it later is a rather poor way to garner attention to the topic at hand.
Back to top Go down
RoninHo'in
Paranoid Vet
Paranoid Vet
RoninHo'in

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm

CptnShotgun wrote:
RoninHo'in wrote:

I was speaking in general terms, not in specifics. If I was to give an example of Premium guns dominating, it would be APB. The premium weapons have recoil reduction, level 3 mods on them (which are hard to get hold of), and things such as silencers which are completely unavailable to non-Premium members. When you come against a team with premium weapons, 9 times out of 10, you will lose. And the guns just keep getting more and more OP.

I'm sure there are games where it works, but from my personal experiences they usually don't.

Ok, compare playing with only what is available in the demo of BC2 vs the full paid version.....

Free... vs paid.....

APD was a giant effin flop, big surprise... game looked and sounded like shit from before the word go, so I'm really not surprised. Studio got closed for a reason ya know, so that's a pretty damn bad example.
Back to top Go down
CptnShotgun
Eezo junkie
CptnShotgun

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:20 am

RoninHo'in wrote:

Ok, compare playing with only what is available in the demo of BC2 vs the full paid version.....

Free... vs paid.....

APD was a giant effin flop, big surprise... game looked and sounded like shit from before the word go, so I'm really not surprised. Studio got closed for a reason ya know, so that's a pretty damn bad example.

You do realise it's back? And free? With premium weapons? That's the one I was talking about.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 11:49 am

Skreshavik wrote:

Alyss, you write scripts, correct? I'm quite positive you understand the necessity for a "hook" in order to draw people in to whatever you're doing/presenting, especially with our generation. Giving out a random link then explaining about it later is a rather poor way to garner attention to the topic at hand.
Well...yeah. I haven't written a script in like four months, I'm currently training at a foreign currency exchange. My job is to rip off stupid tourists.
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:18 pm

Alyss wrote:
I haven't written a script in like four months

You lazy, worthless fuck.
Back to top Go down
Alyss
The Hanged Woman
Alyss

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm

QQ
Back to top Go down
bat
Gutman with a gat
bat

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:42 pm

What? Its just motivation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paying to Win Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paying to Win   Paying to Win Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paying to Win
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gametanamo Gaming Community :: Games :: Gaming-
Jump to: