Gametanamo Gaming Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for degenerates to shoot shit about their favorite hobby

HomeHomepageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Farewell to DirectX?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daedra
Whilst
Whilst
Daedra

Farewell to DirectX? Empty
PostSubject: Farewell to DirectX?   Farewell to DirectX? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:35 pm

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/1

A nice little article that shows what is (or certainly will be in the future) holding PC gaming back. DirectCompute and D3D take such a heavy overhead and only allow graphical calculations to be performed on the GPU.
It mentions how AMD in particular are pushing for a much lower level API which allows GPGPU (i.e. allowing the high speed processing power of the GPU to be allocated to other jobs, similar to the way the PS3's cell SPE's are used for deferred shading in FB2.0).
From what I understand DirectCompute is normally used because it allows for the processes to occur on a large variety of architectures and devices. If people could code "closer to the metal" then it would allow for a much greater performance with the option of allocating other processes to the GPU or CPU.
Consoles of course are already coded very "close to the metal" (i.e. the previously mentioned SPE offloading) because they are a closed system, the more you can optimise and code for a single thing makes it work much more efficiently.
I assume that in the future AMD and Nvidia could make their respective product lines with a similar architecture which can be utilised by other APIs such as OpenCL etc. which would greatly increase their performance in game.
I think DirectX's days are numbered...
Back to top Go down

Farewell to DirectX?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gametanamo Gaming Community :: Games :: Gaming-
Jump to: